Tuesday 10 September 2013

Neuro Motorist!


Today I passed my practical driving test! 

Considering that I arrived from the US a week ago where I did absolutely no driving and became quite accustomed to the wrong side of the road, I am astounded. Added to the fact that it was my first test I am in a state of disbelief, and if I’m honest a bit unprepared for the implications a full drivers license holds.

Now I know it is not uncommon to pass first time, but I am what you may call a ‘(unnecessarily) safe’ or ‘(overly) cautious’ driver so I was not expecting to pass due to either excessive hesitancy or frustrating the hell of the other motorists, especially as I hadn’t had long to practise. To be honest I got extremely lucky with my examiner, test route and day, which were friendly, easy and dry respectively. But when I heard him say "Well you have passed..." I felt manic laughter well up inside me at the pitiful joke he was trying to deliver. I managed to swallow my insanity long enough to confirm I had indeed been granted the right to drive unaccompanied on public roads... Alone.

All in all I passed with only 5 minors, which included driving too slowly beside cyclists (because I didn’t want to alarm them!) while overtaking. I am now facing the reality that I can be unleashed on my own, in a motorised vehicle, amongst other unsuspecting road users. Well, I just need to get a set of P plates, which I will most likely be using for the next 5 years, you know, while I gain confidence and the such.

No comments:

Post a Comment